Thursday, October 6, 2011

Critical Attributes and Possible Service Learning Projects

Critical Attributes
- Critical Attributes are "essential elements of a concept" ( Duplass 42) that are taught so that students to not form the wrong ideas about the topic. With homelessness, the biggest misconception has to be that all homeless people are drunk and drugged out. This is simply not true, and that would be the first rumor we would break as teachers. Many people that are homeless are just down on their luck. Maybe they lost their jobs, and therefore could not afford their home. There are so many different reasons a person or a family could be homeless, and it should be taught not to just assume the worst about a person before you really understand their situation.

-  Informational knowledge is knowing about homelessness. Reasons for homelessness are no jobs sue to the poor economy. unexpected health issues and expenses, and another reason would be personal issues such as diveroce, and dealth in the family. Prosedural knowledge would be taking what you know and doing something about it. Some example of this would be donating clothes that you do not use anymore, donating money to local organizations or groups, and volunteering in a food kitchen in your community.

-Ways we would break this up to teach others about our blog would be the following topics:
1) knowing what homelessness is.
2) reasons why it occurs.
3) effects it has on the economy, the people involved, and the community.
4) ways to help with homelessness.


Service Learning Projects

As a group we are going to My Brother's Table one night and volunteer to serve dinner.We have not yet contacted them but plan to do so within the next week.


We are also going to try and take part in their annual walk, which provides 100,000 meals to homeless families. 


Contact Information

My Brother's Table
98 Willow Street
Lynn, Massachusetts
01901

Main Phone: 781-595-3224
Fax Line: 781-595-3224



Taking Action Individually

As a way of getting involved I registered myself to walk in the 30th Annual Walk For My Brother’s Table. I signed up and made a donation online. It felt good signing up and donating money because I have volunteered at My Brothers Table before so I know the donation is for a good cause and is helping others in need. I look forward to taking part in the walk and hopefully some of you can make it too. If others are interested you can also sign up online, or on the day of. It is a 3 mile walk along the Lynn/Swampscott shore, it begins at the Church of the Holy Name,60 Monument Avenue in Swampscott.  It is on Sunday October 23, 2011. Registration is at 1 PM and the walk Begins at 1:30 PM. And if you can’t make it to the walk you can even participate online by doing a virtual walk!

- Elizabeth 

Taking action is a big part of solving a problem. I, over the weekend, went through my closets and my basement and found a bunch of toys/clothes/games that I don't need or use anymore. I put everything in a big bag and dropped it off at My Brother's Table. Like Elizabeth, I also plan on signing up for the MBT walk as well. It's a great place to volunteer and donate to because they really are doing an amazing job at helping people stay fed, clothed and off the streets. Donating a bag of clothes every six months is a great thing to do to help out the community and it made me feel great.
-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment